Closed RP Oversight

This RP is currently closed.
Yes — or no or — Kosuke had the lady sitting down, and I grabbed a first aid kit from by bag because I didn’t know where the store’s was” Eli rolled to a stop, though it seemed her words were still tumbling out with the same energy she had entered the room with. She pulled in a breath, which was probably a good thing to do because panicking also would probably only make things worse and she would like to not do that.

She was going to take some pills, or she just wanted some water so I came for a glass.” She added quickly, as that was the reason she came anyway wasn’t it?

"No, I- well, yeah, but-"

Kosuke sighed.

"Meta--human." That pause, he said, There are implications to that, yes? My difference..."

He pointed to his mouth, speaking slowly, as if running his words through a filter- either a tough translation, or something for his PR. It was a familiar struggle, either way. It sounded like it would be familiar.

"Its small. Something with my tongue, I think- something that resonates, affects my speech. Thats why I sing, actually; Im a far better guitarist, but I thought- well, if I could control my heard voice, then my hidden one..."

A laugh escaped him- dry and bitter. He drummed his burnt hand against his leg, either stoically ignoring the pain or allowing it to ground him.

"Up until then, it had worked just fine. There had been a couple of incidents--if I was too stressed, or too tired, or too drunk--but I no longer had to brace myself every time I opened my mouth. You really- you really dont need to worry about hurting me by mistake, Sam, its... something Im used to."

He shook his head.

"Sorry, you dont want to hear all this- not when youre sick. And, really, compared to this my abnormality is... minor. Easier to contain- or, I guess, it shouldve been."

Sam had stood up- a dangerous idea, given how quickly this fever tended to come over her. First, when she entered the store, and then when Eli came in from the cafe. He gestured for her to sit down, as though somewhat retiscent to ask verbally. She seemed more stable now, at least. Hed keep an eye on her; if the fever flared up again, hed have to start looking for triggers.

"Though, ah- what do you mean do things like we do?"

The question sounded more curious than probing, which was no small feat. It seemed as though Kosuke genuinely didnt know what--or who--Sam was referring to.

Although, of course, he did.

----

"Oh, for fucks sake- did he not-"

Cass frowned, then ducked under the counter, pointing to a bag sitting on a stack of files. The first-aid kit.

"There." She said, "Wh- I guess its good that you have one yourself."

Though, it was a little weird. Was it weird? A first-aid kit sounded like the kind of thing you were supposed to carry around with you, at least in some basic form- but, like getting 8 hours sleep and drinking liquids other than iced lattes, it sounded like one of those things people say you should do, but never do themselves.

"Glasses, right-" Cass reached for a takeout cup, "Use this plastic one. If shes sick, she might- I dont know, drop it on the floor, or something. Thats not safe, right?"

She sighed.

"I can go instead, if you want. Ill call Kosuke out to the counter- its your first fucking day, you shouldnt have to deal with fucking medical emergencies, Eli..."

Last edited:
Right, uh, I’ll remember that for next time, thank you.” Eli said with a bobble of her head. If she seemed concerned by the idea that she might actually need to use the store’s first aid kit then it was clearly of a secondary concern for her at the moment. Or, well, perhaps it just meant she always expected that she might need to use one, but who really knew what the kids were up to these days?

Eli shifted in place, her weight moving from foot to foot as if that would rid her of excess nervous energy, which it was mostly failing to do.

Yeah, uh, plastic seems smart. Glass could be dangerous.” Eli agreed quickly, as she took the offered cup. She straightened, a little too quickly perhaps, at mention of Cass going instead. “No, uh, it’s fine really, I mean not fine but uh… I um, I’m going to go give them the cup and I’ll be back!” She said, before turning and hurrying back down the hall.

Sam smiled and held the cold towel to her face. It was soothing, even as she felt her body temperature start to regulate again. Maybe whatever it was was finally passing through her system. She could hope for that, anyway. Her voice was soft when she finally responded to Kosuke.

“Other Metahumans, Kosuke. I know others who have similar enough powers that you might be able to talk to them. Tera and Basilica might be good people to talk to. Basilica does something with sound resonance and Tera’s screams create vibrations. Neither of them really does the same thing you do, but maybe they could help you. It’s worth a shot, if you struggle with it.”

She tilted her head to the side in an almost jerk. It was far too smooth a motion to be a full jerk. It looked like when a bird twitches its head. She could feel feet rushing down the hall, and at the same time, her shivers came back. She sat back down and groaned. She held the towel to her aching head and leaned forward. No, it was too much to hope that it had passed.​

"Basilica..."

He laughed, almost nervous.

"She, ah- she certainly understands what I can do. I... suppose I could try and mend that bridge."

A sigh. When his voice returned, it was quiet- cautious.

"She heard it. Heard me. People don't... recover from that, not fully."

There was a hollowness to him now, a void- the closest he had come to sadness, whilst still retaining his composure. It sounded like he was speaking from experience. It sounded like he was speaking from a lot of experience.

"I... I suppose I have to try, though, don't I?" He frowned, "Sam... please don't tell anyone about this. Please. As nice as the idea of meta--human acceptance is, I don't think- I don't think something like this should be accepted, not after what it's-"

There were footsteps down the hall, and Sam collapsed back onto the couch. Eli appeared through the door, holding a plastic cup. It was... odd timing, again- something most people wouldn't have picked up on. Was Eli contagious? She certainly seemed the type to come to work sick- maybe she had caught something and passed it on, maybe Sam's too-warm body was the perfect incubator for diseases like this. It was his only real theory, at the moment- a bit out-there, a bit inconclusive, not quite convincing enough to triumph over mere coincidence, but it was something to keep in mind.

He motioned for Eli to stay by the door, worried about what would happen if she infected Sam any further, and took the cup from her, rushing it over to the sink to sanitise it as best he could before filling it.

"So, like I was saying," He lied, "Showers usually help me when I've got a fever. I know it's not, like, scientifically accepted, or whatever, but- well, it makes things more comfortable, and that makes doing the important shit a lot easier."

He looked up at Eli again, smiling warmly.

"Thank you for that- really, thank you. I'll sort her out, now- we should be alright. I can come out and continue your training once she's feeling better, yeah?"

He laughed quietly.

"Man, I still feel awful about this- it's not either of your faults, but- fuck, what a time to get sick, huh? What a time to deal with a sickness- your first fucking day..."

Was that the right conversation — it had to be right? But it didn’t feel like it fit with the… did works have a feeling to them? That was weird wasn’t it to — to think that way. She lingered at the door, a little lost on what she needed to do next. The woman was down on the couch looking just as bad as she had been, though hadn’t she been speaking just a little bit ago? It wasn’t words but her voice had been in the hallway and indistinct. Kosuke was rinsing out the cup before filling it which seemed sensible.

Oh, uh, it’s okay.” Eli said, quickly again as she plucked at her store apron. She dithered in the doorway, her weight shifting back out the door as she looked over to the customer on the couch.

The room felt hotter too, didn’t it? It was cooler against the back of her neck—

Please take it easy Miss, I hope you feel better soon.” Eli said with a dip of her head before she hopped back into the hallway and returned to the front of
The store. There she finally breathed a sigh of relief.

Catching on to Kosuke’s quick switch, Sam stayed quiet. She gave a small smile to the young woman– girl, really– as she moved to leave. “Thank you, again. Sorry for all the trouble!”

Then the girl disappeared out into the hallway. She paused, waiting for the footsteps to disappear to the front of the store– when her head cleared back up and a soft burst of warmth blew off her again. Her heat was back again, and with it, she started to feel more stable. That was… very weird timing. Sam frowned as she thought back. Her head tilted slowly to the side as she thought, and started to piece things together.

But that was impossible. That was so wildly impossible. There was no way that was right. She had to just be experiencing some kind of incredibly infectious disease that was rapidly processing through her body. Maybe the girl had caught something and was just passing it back to Sam every time she came into the room. Either way…

She looked up to Kosuke and smiled, standing back up. Her body was already feeling less weak. The footsteps were far enough away now that she could safely talk. “I won’t tell anyone, Kosuke. I would never do that to you. I understand why you would want to keep it a secret. I can’t really preach anything else, given I keep my secret so close to home as well. I would like it if there was a time when we didn’t have to be so– never mind. The point is, I won’t tell anyone.”

Then she paused, debating. Hesitantly, she continued, “Hey, is your new girl… maybe sick? I’ve been thinking and, well. I don’t get sick. My body burns everything off because my temperature is so high naturally. If she has something, you might want to send her home if it’s affecting me. Or to a hospital.”

"Thanks, Eli- hey, I'll, uh... I'll make it up to you somehow, yeah? Extra training, extra holiday- whatever."

He sighed, returning to Sam once Eli had left.

"I... yeah." Kosuke shook his head, "Yeah. Thank you, Sam- I appreciate it, I really do. If this got out, I'd be- god, I'd be slaughtered- probably literally, as well."

Though, of all the people who knew, Sam wasn't the most likely to talk. Still, he had to make his stance clear.

He handed her the clean glass of water and leaned against the sink, drumming his hands against the side panel and frowning as Sam continued to speak.

"Whatever she's got, it's not affecting me." He shrugged, "Maybe it's- I don't know, some sort of new disease that only affects metahuman metabolisms. Mine's normal, as far as I know, so I guess that's why I'm fine- that's just a guess, though."

Hospital didn't seem like a good idea, considering how odd Eli's records were. He was fine with the anonymity- more professional establishments probably wouldn't be.

"I'll talk to her once you're better, yeah? See if I can figure out what's going on."

----

"Fuck-"

Cass leaned over the counter to greet Eli, a concerned look on her face.

"Everything okay back there?"

She seemed… about the same? I think she was talking before I got into the room though.” Eli said with a small frown. She was pretty sure she heard them talking, but maybe it was mostly Kosuke? She shifted her weight between her feet as she looked back over her shoulder, rubbing the fabric of her skirt between her fingers. “They didn’t mention anything about calling an ambulance or anything though.” She added.

“Yeah, that could be it… Maybe, do you have a back way I could sneak out? I think it might be better to have distance between myself and her, at least until it's clear what’s going on. I’m already feeling much better now that she isn’t in the room.”

And it was true. Sam was feeling almost back to full strength already. The shivers hadn’t quite cleared up, but she assumed that was just the lasting effects of whatever disease it was. Surely by the time she got back to the Bug, where it was parked up the street, she’d be able to walk without feeling stiff or cold.

“I came for that album that we had talked about, but I’d rather just head home, you know? I think it might be for the best if I come back another day.”

Back