Closed What We Do In The Dark

This request is currently closed and not accepting new users.
That was a fantastic question. She thought she was-

"Routine testing. Checking the limits of my manifestation, it's effectiveness and usefulness, how it interacts with subjects brains, how commands are processed." Her voice was more monotone than usual, for obvious, and good, reason. "It does a lot more than I thought it did, when it developed. If not for these tests, I may not have ever known. I- could've hurt someone."

Rowan hadn't been known to use her PMPD manifestation on people recklessly, even when she'd only just become privy to it. She's used it once on her mother, when it first showed itself. It was on accident, and she'd done her best since to keep slip ups to a minimum. Every kid wished they could do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted, but when provided with the means, Rowan found it unattractive. She liked her parents, and the people around her. Using her ability just meant that they would become more of her, rather than themselves.

After a moment of thought, though, Rowan knew that her answer wasn't what Gaz was asking about. She could see it in his eyes. She sighed. "This is-... the most difficult test I've been through, so far. Most of it has been very controlled, sterile. Everyone knew what was going on. He didn't, though."

It felt like there was a draft in the room, though she knew better. Her arms wrapped around herself, and she leaned back against the wall behind her, eyes dropping.

Without the mask to block his mouth, Gaz found it quite hard to control his expression. Though he had started off the conversation with a fairly neutral look on his face, the more Rowan spoke, the further into a frown it slipped. He had given her the answer he wanted to recieve, but not the one he wanted to hear: she was woefully unprepared for something like this. He pinched the bridge of his nose, pressed his lips tightly together, and let out a sharp sigh.

Immediately, his mind went to Bedell. What kind of man would do this? Sending Rowan into a test like this, unaware of the ethical issues involved- knowing full well she was the sort to actually take those issues?

Jesus Christ, the man's an idiot.

The way you treat a willing subject and an unwilling one are so vastly different, they're not remotely comparable- why run a test like this without acclimating her? Why is he in such a hurry? Is it really so urgent that he can't schedule time for some basic bloody briefing? This could poison the data, for god's sake- what if she does something unexpected? What if she does something wrong? I thought his lack of integrity only applied to morals- science is the one thing he's supposed to be-

Never mind.

"Well, if you're going to work for MIRA, that's something you'll have to get used to." He said, "Not everyone recieves proper briefing about this sort of thing, I've noticed."

The last sentence was spat with such venom, he was surprised the ventilators weren't set off.

"Follow-up question-"

He raised an eyebrow.

"Do you know what it is I'm doing today?"

Last edited:
The passion with which Gaz spoke, the frustration in his voice, was very evident, and very shocking to Rowan. She hadn't known him to get agitated like this- but, then again, people who didn't get upset didn't do the things he did. She knew he was better, now, though. Old habits died hard, so of course some of that frustration still likely lingered, but she knew he was past that.

"It's not the first time I didn't know everything coming in. I've done operations before, it's normal, I just- this is a lot more intimate than I expected."

His second question was concerning- confusing, even. Given the long-winded response she'd just given, Rowan felt it was unnecessary.

He was asking for a reason, though, wasn't he.

"Well, I assume you're here to assist Dr. Bedell with his research. You're also probably here to help prevent something from going wrong, since you, y'know, have a doctorate in this kind of stuff, and can probably fabricate nearly anything at will. I didn't know you were going to be here at all, but my best guess is as an assistant and safety measure, in case what I do does something weird."

Hopefully, that was a good enough answer, because the pair had run out of time for conversation. The door, which had been firmly sealed behind them, became available again as the digital lock flicked green. It would seem that the second leg of the test was prepared. Rowan stared at the indicator light, silent, trepidatiously.

Then, she went to the door.

So, this wasn't the first time she had been kept in the dark. That was concerning. If Gaz had any sort of sway in the team running these tests, he'd have them all fired- reprimanded, at the very least. Unfortunately, he was also being kept in the dark. Everyone was. It was unusual for him to be here in the first place, given how secretive this operation was. His complaints, should he make them, would go absolutely nowhere. Besides, given how little he did know, his concerns were mostly just speculation- likely speculation, but speculation nonetheless. He wasn't there for any of this until now. He likely wouldn't be here for anything else.

Like driving past a housefire, all he could do was catch a glimpse as it burned.

Her answer to the follow-up sounded almost as mundane as he did. He was here to supervise, to observe, to make sure nothing goes wrong- he doubted she knew of his anti-interrogation training, but she could pretty well assume that had something to do with it as well. Gaz was there for safety. He was there to ensure nobody got hurt.

I'm drugging people, Rowan. People who didn't consent to being drugged.

The door re-activated behind them. Jake wasn't there anymore- whisked away by men in suits to some holding cell before the too-short rest of his tale played out.

I can dress it up in as much medical talk as I want, it doesn't matter. Doesn't make a difference.

Though he had been given the names of the people they'd be using, he didn't remember a single one- there were other, more important data points for him to consider. Their bodyweight, composition, known allergies- something like a name didn't have any effect on effective dosage.

I'm poisoning them.

"Yeah, that's about right."

He slid the mask over his face, muffling his voice once more.

"They brought me on because of experience." He said, "I know just how wrong this sort of thing can go."

Back