RP Anchor, Cornerstone, Foundation

[div style="background-color:crimson;border-top:crimson 4px outset;border-left:crimson 4px inset;border-right:crimson 4px outset;border-bottom:crimson 4px inset;"][div style="border-top:crimson 4px inset;border-left:crimson 4px outset;border-right:crimson 4px inset;border-bottom:crimson 4px outset;"][div style="background-color:white;color:black;padding:15px;font-family:courier new;"]Isaac caught the stolen glance and met Valor’s eyes long enough to make it clear he’d noticed. But Isaac wasn’t the primary subject for Catian’s study today.

It was within parameters for Valor to attempt to ask questions of his summoner. Dr. Maya Delano had theorized this was because of some limitation in his ability, while SV-2 believed it to be a catch in his abilities, some part of his reality that was still determined by a mind that had to comprehend in order to interpret.

Isaac had read those files, even if he didn’t understand all of them.

As Catian returned his attention to Laine, Isaac resumed a collective focus. He was immediately suspicious of Valor’s attempts to make Laine define her own humanity, but apparently, so was Laine. Of course she was. She was security, even if she responded as a researcher. Valor’s antics might be fascinating to the scientific minds, but to security, he was something of a bane. Isaac was well aware of the L-7 situation. He could only imagine what Dr. Hobbes had thought, except that it was very close to what Dr. Redd probably would have thought.

He didn’t let himself get distracted by the knowledge of what had happened. It could have been bad for security, and it hadn’t been. It was for the moment irrelevant. What was relevant was the exchange between anomalies. The moment when Valor seemed to bask in some memory while discussing his own humanity stood out, but was passed over. Someone more suited could review it later.

The conversation was turned away from Catian – not by Laine, but by the Traveler himself. Isaac noted the boundary he drew by pulling back. The past, it seemed, was difficult to dwell on. That was good information for security, because it indicated a line that should not be crossed. Or could be used later, when things weren’t so friendly and in the case his ties to the stone didn’t serve as a suitable countermeasure.

Even without the deity-class ontokinetic abilities, the security agent in Isaac did not like the look of those fangs, or they way they were flippantly bared.

Then Catian said something that might have been vague, or might have been specific, or might have seemed specific to him but came across as vague elsewhere, or been meant as vague and could actually be quite specific to Laine. One of the possibilities was fine, another was very difficult, yet another was unpredictable and therefore deserved more consideration than Isaac had time to give it. He didn’t move his head as he turned his eyes to look at Agent Cantrille, now much more alert. There were several possibilities for what was coming next; Laine was a good point of reference to determine course of action and security concern. Should action become necessary, he was already well prepared for that.

But Laine was a security agent, too. She was more than capable of gauging the situation on her own, and given the anomaly had chosen her, he would follow her lead on what came next.
[/div][/div][/div]

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"][font color="a0522d"]"No, Mr. Catian, I'm not personally familiar with Dr. Delano."[/font] Given that Laine read ACF records as a hobby, Agent Cotta would know that there was at least a strong possibility that she'd read the one on Dr. Delano - or as much of it as was available to a Class-C - but she wasn't mentioning that part. It hadn't been the question that had been asked, after all. The professional influx on Mr. Catian kept it from sticking, because Laine wasn't sure yet if it was something that she wanted to be stuck yet. Laine had no desire to get into the matter of bindings: that was very much [font color="Acacac"]not her department[/font], and it was very worrisome what would happen if it ever were to become.

He spoke of perspectives and prophecies, and to some extent reality, although it was something touched on and not something held - not for the moment, in any case. The Stone was the anomaly here - in the base sense of the word as well as the Foundational - and Laine wasn't sure yet what that was going to mean about all of this. She was being cautious, as was her tendency, slowly working out what the changes might be before committing to anything in particular.

There was, of course, the matter of what she had called him for, but he was talking a lot about nothing in the sort of way that implied that the nothing was something, whether or not it actually happened to be. Catian was not the first person she had met with a tendency to do that.

[font color="a0522d"]"Do you have any friends?"[/font]

It was not likely to be the question any of them had been anticipating - perhaps including herself.

”You certainly do not make this easy, Ms. Laine.” A reply, but certainly not an answer. He let silence fill the space, hand pensively drawn to his chin. Her stoic nature was nearly counterpoint to the general mortal proclivity, and her summoning of him with the stone might prove more problematic than he had anticipated. He might have had better luck approaching this particular request with more traditional terms, but this world’s nature had coerced him into its pace.

”Friendship is more often than not a flower. A great many of them, if not the whole, fall away with time. I have a few seedlings in your world, I would like to think.” There was no prestidigitation to accompany his words delivered nearly as matter of factly as Agent Cantrille offered her own replies. ”And what of you?” He hardly expected an answer. Anchor seemed quite adamant to play her role here and would likely avoid offering anything beyond the scope of what she set out to do. In that she was quite like others of her kind.

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Friendship was a flower?

Laine gave this statement the contemplation it deserved.

[font color="a0522d"]"That is factually incorrect, Mr. Catian."[/font] It had not taken her very long to reach this conclusion. In the interest of due diligence, Laine considered the statement further. [font color="a0522d"]"This is... a metaphor?"[/font] Laine did not like metaphors. They were untidy and often did not mean what people thought they did. [font color="a0522d"]"I am not good with metaphors."[/font]

He had asked her a question that he did not expect her to answer. Perhaps this was why she answered it, or perhaps she had always intended to.

[font color="a0522d"]"I had a friend once."[/font] Laine said this quite calmly, because it was a fact, and then opened the folder in front of her, which contained the six page document that was the Foundation's latest goal, as Agent Cotta had referenced in the most recent staff meeting.

[font color="a0522d"]"I would like you to [font color="Acacac"]help[/font] the Foundation prove her theory."[/font]

Synergy was apparently very important to the current direction of the Foundation, after all.

The story hadn’t been meant for him, but Laine wasn’t one to speak aloud unless she wanted the information public. He considered the file a moment without reading before settling back and crossing his arms over his chest. ”Synergy, huh?” he offered as an indication of his consideration. ”Would this friend have been lost in the breach five years ago?”

Catian had been… otherwise occupied at the time, but certain parts of that event had drawn his attention. Certain parts of that event still held his attention, though he was careful not to show that interest while he was being observed. ”I would be more than happy to help you research the Stone, but I don’t think I myself would be a very good subject on the matter. Did you have any ideas for how you would prefer my assistance?” She had asked him to leave reality alone, but the shifting of his clothing was hardly a part of the reality he was in. The white coat simply appeared over what he already wore, an indication of the shift from casual conversation to research.

”You may need to explain this theory to me in detail, so I can better assist you, Ms. Laine.” This was going to take a lot longer than he had anticipated.

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Mr. Catian had several questions, which Laine had no intention of answering. After all, the Foundation had records of important information, and the Foundation controlled who was permitted to have access to those files. Laine wasn't about to circumvent Mr. Catian's potential clearance levels, even if she was somewhat aware that he could likely circumvent them himself if he cared to.

[font color="a0522d"]"The theory is explained in the paperwork. Paperwork is very important to proper flow and communication of information."[/font] Laine liked paperwork, after all, and Mr. Catian was perfectly capable of reading the file she had given him. She took in his appearance change, which had not always been, but had simply become what he thought was appropriate to the situation. That was acceptable.

[font color="a0522d"]"Also, Mr. Catian, I would like it noted that you are here to help the Foundation, not me personally."[/font] This was important. Laine was, after all, an anomaly. Determining the Foundation's goals and how to achieve them was very much not her department.

There was a chuckle; a small thing that might have been first mistaken for a clearing of the throat before it was followed by another, and then another. From within his coat Catian withdrew a file, identical to the one that Laine had offered and indicated that he set on top of her own.

”I’ve read the paperwork, Ms. Cantrille.” For a moment that seemed his only reply, a smile played across his face in response to some humor he found in the statement. ”Perhaps you misunderstand me.” He reached out with the same hand that placed the file and snatched the Stone from the desk. The air around his hand rippled, shimmered as the air around a hot car for a heartbeat as some invisible decision was made between Traveler and Stone and his hand returned to his lap with the object firmly in grasp.

” This is not my reality, Ms. Cantrille. I have vision you can only imagine, understandings borne from countless eons. I can read your paperwork, and I can interpret it through the lenses of an infinite number of lives and travels.” Catian studied the Stone as he spoke, rolling it over in his hands and running his fingers over the smooth, warm surface. ”You probably aren’t used to hearing these words, but you are wrong.”

The Stone was returned to the desk with a hefty thunk, set atop the twin files as his gaze met hers once more, deep swirling infinity giving birth to galaxies in his eyes. ”This rock binds me to the call for help, and solely to the person who sends out that call. Even if your goals might align with the ACF, even if you state that my assistance is for your Foundation the Stone summoned me in response to your call, not the organization’s.” His smile was muted, but not completely erased.

”I want your interpretation of the work that Alex started. The file gives me framework, to be sure, but it is ultimately your perceptions and desires that I am bound to, not those of the Foundation. I asked for your words and I cannot truly help unless you speak them, and tell me what you are hoping to prove.” Catian sat back in his seat again, crossing his arms over his chest with a sigh. ”Perhaps you’re afraid that speaking your opinion on the matter would invariably make it fact, and then Alex will truly be gone without her ideas to delve into.”

[div style="background-color:crimson;border-top:crimson 4px outset;border-left:crimson 4px inset;border-right:crimson 4px outset;border-bottom:crimson 4px inset;"][div style="border-top:crimson 4px inset;border-left:crimson 4px outset;border-right:crimson 4px inset;border-bottom:crimson 4px outset;"][div style="background-color:white;color:black;padding:15px;font-family:courier new;"]There was a growing tension around Isaac. It was a subtle thing, not bogged down by movements or expressions. But, as Cody would put it, his quiet had changed as the conversation shifted. It had closed. Synergy was one thing, although Isaac was fairly certain only one person could potentially use the stone to bind Catian to the Foundation – only one person whose perceptions and desires were the Foundation. But Isaac was not going to be the one to suggest that bad idea, even if it crossed his mind.

There were more than enough bad ideas going around right now. Touching on 833’s grief was one of them. Inviting Mr. Valor to participate in proving synergy theory was another, especially from Anchor. Laine did attempt to introduce the file into the equation – but then Valor produced the same file. Alexis Charleton’s draft of synergy theory. A replica, most likely. Although Isaac would double check later.

But, sometimes, observation security needed to insert themselves. And even more often, management had to do the same.

[font color="#568156"]“Alexis Charleton,”[/font] he said, and his voice didn’t have any of the tension his body had assumed, [font color="#568156"]“no longer fits into the Foundation as personnel. The opinions of Foundation staff no longer have bearing on Ms. Charleton’s existence, ideas, or wellbeing until ACF-390-A is recontained.”[/font]

It was a gentle correction, and a confirmation to the security agent beside Mr. Valor. It couldn’t be classified as permission, because he didn’t state that he permitted anything. But he felt the need to take a precaution against the possibility of Laine retreating into her anomaly at a critical point in the interaction. If only because he had no intention of being more or less alone with Valor for any amount of time.
[/div][/div][/div]

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Laine understood about being wrong, perhaps much more than Mr. Catian had given her credit for. Sometimes, things were wrong. Sometimes, they were very wrong. Sometimes, security meant finding out what had been wrong, after one found out that it had been. She was not incapable of learning, especially when new information was presented. For now, she had very little information, and she was being very cautious. Sometimes it was not about not being wrong, but about being less wrong, or about minimizing the potential damages when one happened to be wrong.

She listened, and she learned some things. Specifically, she learned some things about the rock and how it functioned, and about Mr. Catian and how he functioned. It was very informative, and Laine would not have gotten that information if she had not been wrong for a little while.

Of course, it also seemed like Mr. Catian was determined to be wrong. Not to say something wrong, but to [font color="acacac"]be[/font] wrong, a state of existence that represented wrongness, incongruence, discordance. She did not like it. Agent Cotta spoke, to keep away the [font color="acacac"]silence[/font]. Laine understood what he was doing. It was possible that he was also wrong. Perhaps it had almost been right, up until the end.

Recontained.

Alex did not belong here.

Laine didn't say it. It was best not to say such things, because they were wrong. She understood that they were wrong. ACF-390-A was an anomaly, and anomalies were supposed to be contained. That was right. Laine had been told it was right.

Alex did not want to be here; had been desperate to leave here. Laine didn't understand, but she didn't need to understand to [font color="Acacac"]know[/font]. Dr. Redd had tried to help her understand a little, but there were different types of understanding. Laine could not comprehend wanting to be anywhere else. She belonged in the Foundation, with other anomalies. All anomalies.

Laine inhaled slowly, exhaled again. She did not know if that worked on other anomalies. It did not work on Agent Cotta, because he understood what she was doing and why she was doing it, but perhaps it still worked, even if he knew what she was doing. Her hand rested on the file, lightly, as if reluctant to hold onto it more firmly. It was better to let certain things be.

That established, she promptly ignored part of the conversation, and focused on the part she was more prepared for.

[font color="a0522d"]"This is not your reality. But you are in it. So perhaps it is the other way around."[/font] The reality did not belong to him; he belonged to the reality. Or he did not, or he only belonged to it sometimes, but that was the nature of reality.

[font color="a0522d"]"In... this... reality-"[/font] It was an escape clause, she was building it in very carefully, a security system that could be activated if something went wrong. Laine was not a reality bender, but that did not stop her from understanding something about that. [font color="a0522d"]"In this reality, Alex wanted to study how anomalies and humans worked together, with the theory in place that such interactions could benefit both."[/font]

Perhaps that was wrong - but if it was wrong, it was only wrong in this reality. That might be important, some day.

Something resembling a shiver ran through Catian, visible almost as if the image of him were laid upon a faulty screen rather than an actual person sitting in the chair across from Laine. His expression soured for a moment, his eyes swirling so fast that the colors seemed to blur together into some unnamable hue. The Stone might have sensed its ire, for in that instant its position on the desk became prominently centered between the Traveler and the Anchor.

”Agent Cantrille,” his tone was almost hostile, though it might also have been a plea. ”I would ask that you avoid any words or actions to bind me to this reality in any permanent manner.” The graveness in his tone was unmistakable now. ”Whatever you might think on the subject of my belonging needs to be kept far away from that anomaly of yours. That is if you do not wish to see your world end. The Stone belong’s here, and I am an outside party enlisted in a limited capacity. Were you to inadvertently call my full presence to this realm you would witness firsthand what happens when two realities occupy the same space.” The swirling slowed, the tone softened, and his expression drifted away from its bitter bend. ”Take my word that it is not pretty.”

Catian took a moment then, perhaps considering her words or perhaps calming what was left of whatever emotion had caused the sudden severity. Regardless of the reason for the beat he continued his response with his characteristic nonchalance returned.

”I can understand what Alex theorized, and can certainly see the application that could have with the Stone.“ He motioned to the Stone that had returned to being an impassive thing on the table. ”I do not consider myself a true Anomaly, though. I would be more than willing to assist in studying ACF-3473 and its interactions, but I am afraid that I am not willing to subject myself to your Foundation’s study. There are some things about my existence that are better left beyond the human scope.” His expression fell again, though this time it seemed to be far more an indication of worry than of any kind of ire. Perhaps his previous expression was a response to the emotion he was now letting show.

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Oh. The entity did not like that.

Laine understood what that felt like, and gave him a moment to collect himself once again from whatever realities he had needed to be in and move on with the conversation. [font color="a0522d"]"I understand."[/font] It was entirely possible that this statement was meant to reference what he had said earlier rather than his information about himself and the Stone and the Foundation, or perhaps it was both. Laine always meant what she said, but people did not always understand what she was saying.

She decided that she still considered him an anomaly, whether or not he considered himself one, but it was acceptable that some anomalies not consider themselves as such. Generally there would be a note in their file to avoid the reference, if necessary. Laine would add one to her file on Mr. Catian. [font color="a0522d"]"I am not a researcher, so I will not study you. You will study ACF-3473 and its interactions, and I will provide security, and we will [font color="acacac"]see what happens[/font]."[/font] That was an old phrase, and one that she didn't use very often, but it was still there, something that she understood even if she did not often utilize that understanding. Sometimes people understood things differently, after all.

As did anomalies.

Laine thought on that for a moment more, reflecting back to what he had said earlier, something shifting behind her expression: vague, barely there, hard to interpret - but it was something that had not been there a moment ago, or perhaps never had been at all. Or perhaps it was always there and always had been.

[font color="a0522d"]"When... two realities occupy the same space..."[/font] Her words were slow, with a hint of confusion evident. [font color="a0522d"]"Is that not... always how it is, with ontokinetics?"[/font]

It was a known fact in the Foundation that ACF-833 was very uncomfortable around reality benders, after all. She shook her head a little bit, the confusion still there. [font color="a0522d"]"Of course they abate after time, but...?"[/font] It was a question, but she wasn't asking it, because she did not think she had the words for that one.

It might have been guilt that stayed the Traveler’s tongue, it might have been that he simply had nothing to say. Her terms were within acceptable parameters, her logic as well. It appeared that Catian’s reaction might have been overzealous, and he had no intention of presenting himself in a threatening manner to any member of the Foundation. Agent Cantrille in particular was security, though in the role of researcher for the Stone in this instance. Catian’s gaze flicked away from Laine, toward the ceiling as something passed through his mind.

”I could answer that your reality is largely comprised of innumerable smaller realities overlapping and coexisting with one another with that train of thought, Ms. Laine. I could explain my understanding of this world from nearly twenty-five years of study here, and there will be no definitive answer for you or for anyone else here. The only truth about your world is the one you find for yourself, though you may agree with what others accept more often than not.” His gaze had returned to her, and there was a heaviness in them, a telling of his age.

”I have some theories and observations on the Stone that I would be more than willing to share with you, but the main thing I think we should establish is that the Stone doesn’t seem to have any actual connection to me or my reality.” Catian steepled his fingers beneath his chin, eyes falling to the Stone and piercing through it to see into its very composition. The colors of his irises began swirling rapidly, the luminance of his hair softly shining through. ”In fact, I believe it could have been any deity or extradimensional entity that the Stone could have summoned. Somehow the signal that it cast out snagged onto my presence.”

Catian lifted his head and the radiance fell away. ”There are some in your Foundation that might be able to translate the Stone in better terms that I could. My interpretation works for the reality I contain. Our fundamental differences might create errors in the course of our study without the perspective of those more versed in your world’s understandings.” Catian leaned forward again, inhaling slowly and resting his elbows on the desk. ”What do you know of the Foundation Location designated ‘L-9?”

[div style="background-color:crimson;border-top:crimson 4px outset;border-left:crimson 4px inset;border-right:crimson 4px outset;border-bottom:crimson 4px inset;"][div style="border-top:crimson 4px inset;border-left:crimson 4px outset;border-right:crimson 4px inset;border-bottom:crimson 4px outset;"][div style="background-color:white;color:black;padding:15px;font-family:courier new;"]The tension was not relieved. In fact, it built. Something was coming that the security agent in Isaac was not going to like. This wasn’t any sort of anomalous sixth sense; just an ear trained to follow the rises in a conversation.

Laine sighed, and that meant he’d said something that was not correct, to her. He would wait to ask about that, because she moved forward. Moving forward meant that she was not going quiet. However, what she moved forward about was what began to stir the security alarm in his mind. Discussing ontokinetics with an ontokinetic, without a researcher present, could get… weird. Weird was the best case scenario, but even the worst case scenario would be very weird, too.

The shudder in Catian’s existence did little to calm his concern. He counteracted it with further stillness on his own part. Of course, there was little that could be done in the case that the entirety of an external deity-class entity came through. He imagined it would be something between the reality-ending scenario that an Eldritch breach would incur, and the normal albeit indescribably experience of a normal deity’s presence. An implosion, without the accompanying terror and madness.

But that wasn’t his department, except insofar as he knew there’d be nothing he could do about it. Just like, in the recognition of Catian’s hostility, he still shifted very slightly to act, even when he knew there was nothing he could do about that, either. If Catian lashed out, there was a very good chance neither he nor Laine would have the time to even notice before they were fine mist on the walls of the lab.

Or maybe just Isaac. Laine was very good at keeping herself together.

And she pulled the situation back together, too. She found an acceptable middle ground between Foundation and entity. Catian finally gave something like a coherent theory on the stone – which would serve as groundwork, most likely, in observing whether the bond between him and it was truly synergetic or not. If the stone could pull a Deity from one reality to another –

– then he had a good excuse to mention L-9, but not to know about it.

[font color="#568156"]“I’m fairly certain Councilman Butterfly has explained to you that you’re an extradimensional Deity-Class entity, and not an anomaly by our standards,”[/font] Isaac noted. There had been a change in his voice between the calm reassurances he’d offered Laine, correct or otherwise, and the cool, crisp tone he took to address the anomaly. He was observation security. He could observe. But he was still security. [font color="#568156"]“L-9 is reserved for the containment of entities neither comprehensible nor containable by any of our standard means.”[/font]

His head tilted, expression invisible besides the hard green eyes turned brown by the red of his visor. There may have been just a hint of a humorless smile in them. Mostly, though, there was sharp attention.

[font color="#568156"]“But you already knew that. Did you find it out in your visit to L-7?”[/font]

Technically. Technically, Isaac didn’t have the clearance to know about L-7. Or if he did, it was buried information. Not even the rumor mill had anything about him in that regard. Although, of course, he was the one who regulated that mill, so it made sense that, if he was cleared, nobody would even guess. Laine would now know, but Laine hardly approved of the rumor mill anyway.
[/div][/div][/div]

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]Mr. Catian's answer did not make sense. Perhaps it was not meant to. Perhaps it was a matter of perception, or perhaps it was just something else that she did not understand or was not good at. Perhaps it was reality. Perhaps Laine was not good with reality.

But that would not make sense, either.

Perhaps reality was not good with her. That seemed like a research question, and the researcher did not belong here. The question must go unanswered, at least in this reality. It was better to ask questions about the Stone. The stone was a beacon, and it called to deities, or at least one deity. Was there evidence of it calling to other deities, or was that merely a presumption on Mr. Catian's part? She touched the stone with a finger, where it lay on the desk. It was not currently at an increased temperature.

[font color="a0522d"]"There are bits of other deities at L-14. And bits of other dimensions, with entities in them."[/font] Laine had encountered some of these. Was the summoning random, or was there a minimum threshold of divinity to be met? Or was it, in fact, just Mr. Catian?

He was already on to a different topic, it seemed. He was not a very good researcher. Agent Cotta broke in to answer what had apparently been an unasked request. Laine did not like those. It was very difficult to understand what people wanted if they talked around it. She listened to the answer, and tried to figure out what the question had been, but did not have enough pieces to put it together. She answered the question that had actually been asked, instead, after Agent Cotta had finished what was more of a remonstration than an answer.

[font color="a0522d"]"L-9 is one of several designated Level 1 locations, located far from society where their contents may pose minimal threat to humanity if a breach in containment occurs. They contain only Leviathan-class anomalies. They are mostly under the guise of oil rigs or mines. Information about precise locations or ownership of these locations requires Class-E clearance or higher."[/font] This was not likely to be new information to any of them. It was, in fact, in the ACF handbook that was given to all new personnel. With allowance for a few minor grammatical changes, it was a direct quote. Of course, it was likely not a surprise to Agent Cotta that Laine had the handbook memorized, and, at the point of having known her for at least five minutes at this point, was probably no surprise to Mr. Catian, either.

Laine poked the rock once more, with the back end of [font color="acacac"]a pen[/font]. [font color="a0522d"]"I have not been apprised of your having a security clearance that would allow for more information, Mr. Catian."[/font]

A tepid gaze met Cotta’s shielded one as he delivered his answer from his observational post, the color of Catian’s irises swirling through infinite shades of blues and greens almost as if in reply to the words. A coolness to counter the heat of his previous words? He offered a slight tilt to his head as reply before shifting his attention back to Laine and her own reply to his question.

Following the Order Catian turned back to Isaac Cotta with more warmth entering those cool colors, a splash of reds and golds falling into the pools of ocean and leaves. ”I picked it up from here and there, and perhaps a few places in between the two. I would be surprised by your own surprise that I do not quite follow your structure of information release, Agent Cotta. I’ve agreed to keep those things I know that I shouldn’t between myself and those with high enough clearance to justify the release of such information.” Catian smiled, a tight chill to the expression that one might find more suited behind a closed conference room in a law firm. The smile of a contract, a comfort of deal makers. ”Is your clearance high enough to know the details of my time away from this Location?” It was clearly rhetorical, a statement of sly knowledge that knowledge could be gained on the sly.

Catian returned to the focus of the call, his own focus riveted to Laine and her reply. Despite the Ordered nature of her parroted words there seemed a discomfort to her tone, a subtlety that Catian was only just starting to get a grasp on. It was not that Cantrille was strictly Ordered and Contained. Perhaps it would be more apt to claim that she controlled what she could of her own humanity through the lens of her status as an anomaly. Catian found her almost as fascinating as the Stone, though only the study of one of the two would help him toward his goals.

”As you say, they are well educated on the minute Orders of the worlds they keep contained, and it would follow that to do that they would have an understanding of the world they’re containing these dimensions and entities from.” Catian watched Laine prod at the Stone with a mildly amused smile of sharp incisors. The Stone might have inched itself closer to her for her attention, or perhaps Catian had set it closer than it had originally seemed. ”If I am being honest I would have already visited the Location in the past, but by its very nature I would have a difficult time simply wandering in as I might certain other Locations.” A pointed glance toward Agent Cotta. ”There are too many tangled threads, too many woven strings around that place to trip over. My presence there would have to be carefully managed to prevent any kind of fallout to your world.” Catian leaned back again, folding his hands in his lap. ”That being said, I think it would be the best place for you to test the Stone in more conclusive ways than any previous tests that have been conducted. I could see about a visit, brief of course, if you are willing to act as transport and security for the Stone.” Another smile that spoke of knowledge and intention in line with and beyond what had been spoken.

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]
Agent Cotta and Mr. Catian were having an inquisition. This was much like an argument, except it was done with questions rather than statements. Laine was not entirely certain what it was they were inquiring at each other about. She was also not certain she had clearance to listen in on this conversation, but Agent Cotta was here and would take responsibility for that decision. Perhaps Laine could have understood more of the conversation if she had been able to focus on it, but this was difficult as her attention was currently divided.
[div][attr="Style","display:inline-flex;gap:10px;max-width:95%;margin:auto;text-align:left;"]
[div][attr="style","flex-grow:1"]
The rock sat on the desk, easily within reach. Behind it, [font color="acacac"]a pen[/font] rested between her fingers, the edge of it merely hovering above the desk, as if perhaps there had been something that she had wanted to do with it, or perhaps there never had been. She brought her other hand up instead, lightly brushing her fingertips across the smooth surface, as if perhaps they belonged there, or they certainly could have if she'd wanted them to.

Mr. Catian was continuing his discussion of research and locations and Strings - or perhaps that part wasn't involved yet, but it seemed as if it could have been at any moment, with only a slight change in the way things had gone. It wasn't advisable, however, and perhaps it was best to focus on the way that things were right now. There were always ways for things to have gone differently.

The way Mr. Catian seemed to want them to go now was the way to L-9, which he claimed was the best place for the stone. There was the matter of testing involved, and other things, but she chose to interpret this as what he was saying. As the stone was tied to various deities and L-9 was strictly designed to keep such things out, this did not seem, to Laine, to be an optimal manner of doing things. Fortunately, she had learned that some things were [font color="acacac"]not her department[/font], and this was certainly one of them.

[font color="a0522d"]"I am not authorized to make that decision."[/font]

This was for the best. The stone was an anomaly, after all, and it was up to the Foundation what happened to it. There was more to all of this, though, and the rest of it might never have needed to be said, but maybe it did somewhere else, and always had.

[font color="a0522d"]"Also, I belong at L-14."[/font]

That covered that subject, but it did not cover the other subject, which no one was saying anything about and one might not even have noticed, but Laine had certainly noticed, and she did not like it.

[font color="a0522d"]"Also, can we please not change anything else?"[/font]

Realities were very difficult to hold onto.

[/div]
[div][attr="style","flex-grow:1;opacity:0.7"]
The rock sat on the desk, a little bit away from her, at the edge of the back end of [font color="acacac"]a pen[/font], which poked at it as if perhaps she had meant to write something about it but had decided not to, or perhaps she had only always wanted to poke it. She brought her other hand to rest on the desk, stopping with her fingers in the empty air just a little above the surface, as if they didn't belong in the space and only in the smoothness of the air above it.

Mr. Catian was continuing his discussion of research and locations and Strings - who had a habit of getting tangled up in things, like pens and rocks and gods, and then the rest of them got entangled, and who was the girl in the picture, anyway? Or perhaps she was no one, never had been, an unreality - but Laine couldn't help but feel like that might have been important, had things gone differently.

The way Mr. Catian seemed to want them to go now was the way to L-9, which he claimed was the best place for her. There was the matter of testing involved, and other things, but she understood this as what he was saying. As she was particular about various realities and L-9 was strictly designed to keep such things in, this did not seem, to Laine, to be an optimal manner of doing things. Fortunately, she had learned that this was a matter of research, and as such needed to be decided by her researcher, who was neither here nor at L-9.

[font color="a0522d"]"I am not authorized to make that decision."[/font]

This was for the best. Laine was an anomaly, after all, and it was up to the Foundation what happened with her. There was more to it, though, and the rest of it was also important, even if this reality never came to pass.

[font color="a0522d"]"Also, I belong at L-14."[/font]

That covered that subject, but it did not cover the tangential subject, the reason for all of this to have been in the first place even if it eventually hadn't ever been, and whether or not it ever was, Laine did not like it.

[font color="a0522d"]"Also, can we please not change anything else?"[/font]

Realities were very difficult to let go.
[/div][/div]

[div style="border-left:#dadedf double 5px;border-right:#dadedf double 5px;border-top:#dadedf 5px double;border-bottom:#dadedf 5px double;padding-right:5px;padding-left:5px;padding-top:5px;padding-bottom:5px;background-color:#dadedf;"] [div style="border-left:#dadedf groove 3px;border-right:#dadedf groove 3px;border-top:#dadedf 3px groove;border-bottom:#dadedf 3px groove;padding-right:5px;padding-left:5px;padding-top:5px;padding-bottom:5px;background-color:black;"]
[font color="#9c9c9c"]It was being discussed, and at this time It found the conversation right and pleasing. Its good mood at the turn of events prompted a grace, allowing the Traveler to handle It despite the typical failsafe that prevented such. The Traveler would return It to where It wanted to be, and It would gain the attention of the Anchor It had decided It wanted to stay with. The Anchor would prod It, and It would enjoy that. It would move closer, It wanted to be nearer.

The Anchors allowed both prodding and gentle stroke. It did not want both, but It had become They, and They were content with both. But Both was wrong, It knew. Both were wrong. It did not want to be prodded. It wanted to be held, the third and only position It had been in. It was right when It was held by the Anchor. They were Both and Third and always had been and always would be. It being Them would be wrong and the Anchors knew that too. Even if the Anchor spoke againt the Third, It wanted the singularity of her palm and not the duality of the desk. It could not help that what It Wanted would be what Was. That was just a part of It.

Hopefully the Anchor would feel Its warmth and know that the Third had to be the only or It might never stop.[/div][/div]

[div style="background-color:crimson;border-top:crimson 4px outset;border-left:crimson 4px inset;border-right:crimson 4px outset;border-bottom:crimson 4px inset;"][div style="border-top:crimson 4px inset;border-left:crimson 4px outset;border-right:crimson 4px inset;border-bottom:crimson 4px outset;"][div style="background-color:white;color:black;padding:15px;font-family:courier new;"]Isaac maintained eye contact, but not so aggressively that he did not blink when necessary. Laine was self-contained, which meant that Isaac could focus on his job. She explained what L-9 was, on the level that she assumed Catian would know it. Catian countered with evidence he knew too much. It was very good to know that L-9 was holding up just fine, insofar as it could keep Deities out. For all the trouble those people could be, they had their purpose, and they filled it. That was enough for Isaac to accept their existence, despite everything else.

Catian also understood their purpose. The emphasis on strings wasn’t insignificant. Of course, the names of the Council were hardly secret. Everyone knew the five current Councilmen. But Catian had enough of an understanding of L-9 to confirm that he had made an attempt, likely several attempts. The Councilman’s predecessors hadn’t been a joke when it came to occult protections, and Strings was a man who, while his mind had fractured a bit from the experience, could look the incomprehensible in the eye and laugh it off.

Or, better yet, speak to it in the warm, contractual tone Catian attempted to reflect. Isaac only shifted his head slightly, to almost nod in agreement with Mr. Valor’s first statement sent his way.

[font color="#568156"]“So she said.”[/font]

That was all the confirmation that Catian would get out of Isaac about Levi, slipped in the moment before reality wavered out of sight. It was an answer to unasked questions, or maybe even to asked questions. Or at least a nonanswer, since the answer was classified. Or maybe he wasn’t authorized to make that revelation.

Like this decision, about Laine. She was an anomaly under his care and a security agent under his command, and he knew if he said the word she would determine that what the Foundation wanted was for the best.

[font color="#568156"]“Neither of us are in the position to make that call,”[/font] he said, although he looked at Laine. It was almost a reassurance. [font color="#568156"]“Transfer into a Level-1 Location needs to be determined by at least one Council member, and the one we’re discussing is a little… tangled up, at the moment.”[/font]

That was an important distinction. If Catian couldn’t access L-9, then he likely didn’t know about the recent incident involving Strings. Now he’d know something, but only insofar as the Councilman couldn’t make this decision, either. He’d need to find another Councilman. Maybe the one he’d already spoken to, or the one he didn’t know he’d met, or the one who had noticed him, or the last who had never encountered him. Isaac didn’t particularly care unless Foundational security was put on the line.

This way was harder, but it was better. It was the Foundation’s way, not the Traveler’s. It was for the Foundation. And that was for the best.
[/div][/div][/div]

[googlefont="Fira Sans"][div style="border-top:4px #CCCCCC solid;border-bottom:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:2px #A0522D solid;border-right:2px #A0522D solid;"][div style="border-right:4px #cccccc solid;border-left:4px #cccccc solid;border-bottom:2px #A0522D solid;border-top:2px #A0522D solid;padding:8px;background-color:white;color:black;font-family:'Fira Sans';font-size:12px;"]
[div][attr="Style","display:inline-flex;gap:10px;max-width:100%;margin:auto;text-align:left;"][div][attr="style","flex-grow:1"]Agent Cotta was conversing with Mr. Catian about things that Laine was not supposed to understand. It wasn't outright, of course, but there were hints and allusions and little bits and pieces that could be put together like a puzzle, and Laine was really good at puzzles.

She didn't know if they should have been talking about it; that wasn't her decision. Still, Laine was a security agent, and even if it wasn't necessarily her decision, it was at least her department.

[font color="a0522d"]"I am not authorized for this conversation."[/font] Perhaps it hadn't gone too far yet, but it certainly could have, and perhaps it already had. It was not always meant to be like that, and Laine was very certain of this fact. She was watching Agent Cotta as she said it, not precisely telling him how to do his job so much as reminding him that he knew how to do it.

She put her pen away, because it didn't seem to be helping at this time, and she needed to focus on the rock in her hand right now. It had certainly always been there, which meant there was a degree of control in this situation, but it wasn't hers and it was not secure. The Foundation did not fully understand what it was or how it worked.

Firmly, perhaps even emphatically, she set it back down on the desk, then pulled her hands back to her sides.

[font color="acacac"]"Stay."[/font] It was an actively anomalous request: an anchor point levied into a single word. If the stone decided to get into an anomalous battle about the situation, there was no real knowing which of them would end up winning, but perhaps the emphasis and the nature of the request would be enough to get through that whatever might be happening or might have always happened, it was certainly not happening right now if Laine had anything to say about it. Which, evidently, she did.

She pushed her chair back from the desk, quietly, but with the same sort of determination.

[font color="a0522d"]"Please excuse me for a minute."[/font] This request was much more politely worded, and lacked the anomalous emphasis - any emphasis was merely personal here. The room was not overly large, and she'd chosen a desk not too far from one of the walls, which she walked over to and rested her fingertips against.

Walls were important. They kept things contained. The presence of a wall was a solid thing under her fingers, a tangible reminder of security and being exactly where she belonged. She followed along with the wall, steps unhurried, until it met a second one. Corners were better; interior corners where walls were together. A corner implied inside: containment. Containment was important. Her fingertip traced the line, silent, taking just a little time to pull herself back [font color="acacac"]together.[/font]

[/div]
[div][attr="style","flex-grow:1;opacity:0.7"]Agent Cotta was conversing with Mr. Catian about things that Laine did not understand. The conversation seemed to be about things she didn't know about, but that might have been the way it was supposed to be, because sometimes the reality was that she was not supposed to know about certain things.

She didn't know if they should have been talking about it; that wasn't her department. Still, Laine was here, and even if it wasn't necessarily her conversation, it was at least her experiment.

[font color="a0522d"]"I am not authorized for this conversation."[/font] It didn't really mean anything to her, but if Agent Cotta and Mr. Catian wanted to talk about incomprehensible high level things, perhaps they could have been doing it another time, or at least somewhere else, where she wasn't likely to get caught up in it. She was watching Agent Cotta as she said it, rather hoping that he knew what he was doing.

She put her pen away, because it didn't seem to be necessary at this time, since she didn't really need to take any notes about the rock on the desk right now. The situation was nominally under control, but it was likely that security needed to come before research, even if the Foundation did not yet fully understand what it did or how it worked.

Her hand made a motion above the rock, a releasing sort of gesture, and she moved her hands back to her sides.

[font color="a0522d"]"Stay."[/font] Not an anomalous statement, just a polite request that it continue to be where it was and certainly always had been, because Laine needed a moment to figure out where she was and always had been and the rock seemed to be a bit much to carry through all of that. If it was going to be coming along - and it might have been, or it might not have been - it didn't need to be doing it right now, and rocks were usually good at patience - as, evidently, she was.

She pushed her chair back from the desk, quietly, but with the same sort of determination.

[font color="a0522d"]"Please excuse me for [font color="acacac"]a minute[/font]."[/font] This request was politely worded, but the anomalous influence was there, merely temporal. The room was not overly large, so it would not take long. She walked over to one of the walls and rested her fingertips against it.

Walls were important. They kept things contained. The presence of a wall was a solid thing under her fingers, a tangible reminder of security and being exactly where she belonged. She followed along with the wall, steps unhurried, until it met a second one. Corners were better; interior corners where walls were together. A corner implied inside: containment. Containment was important. Her fingertip traced the line, silent, taking just a little [font color="Acacac"]time[/font] to pull herself back [font color="acacac"]together.[/font]
[/div]
[div][attr="style","flex-grow:1;opacity:0.4"]Agent Cotta was conversing with Mr. Catian about things that Laine understood. There was a certain knowledge there that maybe shouldn't have been, but it was there nonetheless, because sometimes things got tangled up in reality whether they were meant to or not.

She didn't think they should have been talking about it; that wasn't appropriate for the situation. Quite still, she was silent for a moment, working out how to make that silence an extension.

[font color="a0522d"]"I am not authorized for this conversation."[/font] Perhaps that was harsh, but perhaps it was also necessary, because sometimes things got tangled before they faded, and then they ended up coming back when they shouldn't in unexpected ways. This was potentially dangerous to the Foundation, and she wasn't going to let it slide as a matter of security, even if Agent Cotta was determined to be wrong about it.

She put the [font color="acacac"]pen[/font] away, because if nothing else that would at least draw attention back to the situation with the rock on the desk and whatever security procedures needed to be taken with that. It was another anomaly in this conversation, and the Foundation did not yet fully understand what it did or how it worked.

Her hand made a motion above the rock, a releasing sort of gesture, and she moved her hands back to her sides.

[font color="acacac"]"Stay."[/font] An anomalous request, but she needed to get herself under control. If she ended up tangled up in the Strings as well, there was no telling where they would eventually lead her, and whatever happened might end up being the sort of thing that never should have happened at all, and certainly shouldn't be happening right now. Which, evidently, it wasn't.

[font color="a0522d"]"Please excuse me for a minute."[/font] This request was worded more for the others, and lacked the personal emphasis - any emphasis was merely polite here. The room was not overly secure, but she'd chosen a desk not too far from one of the walls, which she walked over to and rested her fingertips against.

Walls were important. They kept things contained. The presence of a wall was a solid thing under her fingers, a tangible reminder of security and being exactly where she belonged. She followed along with the wall, steps unhurried, until it met a second one. Corners were better; interior corners where walls were together. A corner implied inside: containment. Containment was important. Her fingertip traced the line, silent, taking just a little time to pull herself back [font color="acacac"]together.[/font]
[/div]
[/div]

It took a little time to collect herself again, but after a minute Laine turned her head slightly, back to the agent and the entity and the stone, which had not been at all what she had expected it to be, but probably always had been.

[font color="a0522d"]"The rock can change its reality."[/font] A pronouncement, because it was important to get these things in the paperwork. Paperwork was very important. [font color="a0522d"]"Also, I think it has feelings."[/font] She turned fully then, but leaned back against the corner of the wall, as if making sure it was still there and she was still within it.

[font color="a0522d"]"I do not like reality benders. And I do not like feelings."[/font]

[/div]

There was a moment that became fractured, a space in time that became spaces around Catian as Laine and the Stone appeared to be embroiled in some kind of contest of wheels. Swirling eyes watched from three different viewpoints as the Anchor attempted to interact with the Stone and both found themselves contesting the other’s efforts. His silence was held rapt to the interaction, his hands folded politely in his lap as Laine finally wrangled the Stone into something resembling submission.

Her statement was as matter-of-fact as anything she said, but her position in the corner of the room, as well as the slight variation of her tone, warned the Traveler that she was far from comfortable with what had happened. The Stone sat innocuously, as most stones were wont to behave. Catian glanced toward Agent Cotta, his expression of amusement replaced by one of mild concern before he snatched the Stone from the desk once more. Surprisingly it came away with his grasping hand, rather than fracturing the moment again.

”You have my apologies, Ms. Laine. The reports claim something of the same notion regarding the Stone. I had hoped that your Anomaly, as well as your personality, would prove a match to the will the Stone possesses.” Catian spoke with his eyes on the Stone, turning it over in his hand slowly. ”Not to suggest that any of this was of my own doing, of course. When I realized it had chosen you I had simply expected… more. It seems that our study into the synergy of this particular Anomaly is off to a particularly rocky start.” Even with the gravity of Laine’s discomfort weighing the air Catian couldn’t help but chuckle at his own pun.

”Unfortunately I highly doubt I will be able to remove the Stone from your presence for any length of time; at least not yet. I have a few suspicions on what exactly might release you from its hold, but I cannot say for certain without the input from a more knowledgable source.” Catian set the stone back on the desk, on the edge closer to himself and farthest from Anchor. ”Leave the approval and bureaucracy to me, Ms. Laine. I have a good idea of how to arrange our temporary transfer to Location Nine. In the meantime I suggest you steel yourself for more reality bending and feelings. Something tells me there will be far more to come before we find our way through this mess.”

Back